Search This Blog

Friday, June 25, 2010

Assignment One- The Personal Essay


The tightness in my abdomen woke me. The wait was over.

In the bathroom downstairs, I filled the tub high with warm water and submerged as much of my body as I could. I cupped water in my hands and poured it slowly over my swelling belly. This thing that I'd watched take shape inside of me for all this time was now leaving. The little death this new life would greet me with was not mournful. It was like saying goodbye to the night as I welcomed the morning sun. I was not sorry for the sun, for it's radiance and warmth, but I saw that my world was changed. I would never have that night back-the quiet, the stillness, the rounded dark of the sky; I had to say goodbye.

There was a deep pain, a pulling like tendons being torn in half, that I labored through on all fours, every two minutes as it came.

I phoned him. "We are going to go soon".

************************************************************************
Three months earlier I visited the facility he'd been in for 22 days. I parked on the side of the gray, rectangular building. It had utilitarian feel, like a small factory where they make nuts and bolts, or some other little, cold, metallic thing that, alone and without purpose, is useless. On the side of the building was a chain-link enclosure with barbed-wire budding from the top. The enclosure was crammed with men, minimally unmuzzled and smoking cigarettes. They were like a kennel full of dogs at an over-crowded pound. Smoking hounds with sad, droopy eyes flapping down to their filters and pit-bulls with cigarettes speared between bared teeth, stopped barking as I came near. I shielded my accessible belly, averting my eyes toward the thick cloud of smoke hanging over them.

I sat across from him in a long room lined with chairs. The counselor pulled a chair between us. "Do you want to tell him your boundaries?" he asked.

Boundaries?... My money... My body...My time... My money... My thoughts... Everything had become a boundary. I wanted to name every thing in existence, item by item, until he understood that as much as he'd taken from me should be off limits to him. "You can't come into the delivery room unless you stay sober," I said.

At the sign-out desk a scrawny, tired woman was arriving to see her son. He'd been brought in last night, she told me, to detox here instead of in jail. She pitied my belly with her eyes, "Congratulations", she smiled. "When are you due?"

************************************************************************

One-hundred and twenty seconds to rest, then the pain pulled me back onto hands and knees, like a kid twisting limbs and calling "Mercy!". He arrived at the house hours after I called him. Muscles contracted. Fear gripped, digging deep, then released, pulsing, beat by beat. Overcome, I surrendered my boundaries on that bathroom floor. I just wanted his hand to hold. I raised my head and yelled to him.

He didn't answer.

I thought he would have been there by my side, desperate as he said he was to be there for the birth. I heard water run in the upstairs bathroom. Maybe he was nervous and sick to his stomach? He was up there a long time and I began feeling desperate and panicked. We would never get to the hospital. I needed help. When was he going to help?
Finally he came downstairs to hug our little girl in his giant, father-of-the-year embrace and calm her fears of seeing Mommy writhing as she was. I kissed her too and we made our way out to the car and left.

With no anesthesia, I felt everything.

When my son was born, I did not cry. I kissed his palms. I cradled him to my chest. I nursed him. I wrapped his little cherub hand around my finger and kissed him more. His father sobbed.

For two days, life was suspended in a tiny room facing west. The television set the walls ablaze with blue, green and white flickering flames. There was no such thing as night, only purpose.The shade stayed closed even as light prismed in through the slit. He slept on a cot under the window. His white T-shirt was tinged gray. It was impossible to rouse him. The tight, white room was strewn with debris; clothes, empty cups, crumpled papers, all littered around his cot. Disgusted, I lifted myself carefully from the hospital bed and shuffled over to clean up his mess. His filthy khaki shorts, the ones I'd washed week after week for ten years, were in a heap by his feet. I picked them up to fold. Their weight was unnerving. My arms ached against their weight, the dread and excitement. Buzzing, I wanted proof to hold in my hand. I wanted the lies to come to a head like a pimple, and burst right there in my hand. I wanted to finally allow myself feel the impact, no matter how grotesque the run-off. And I didn't really want any of that. I tucked the shorts against my flaccid belly and advanced uneasily to the bathroom.

Behind the closed door, my gut flipped in anticipation. From the first deep pocket I pulled a baseball belt, a pack of Newports,and a lighter. I held my breathe. My hand lunged at the second pocket. The room was pulsing with adrenaline. My fingers flicked against something plastic- an open 50-pack of syringes, their orange, plastic caps aligned in 5 imperfect rows. Deeper inside were two loners, their caps swimming loosely beneath them. The missing were discarded in a garage somewhere or maybe in the hospital parking lot. At the bottom of the pocket were two little folds of blue paper. Sweat beaded my lip. My heart beat banged against the bathroom walls so loudly I though the nurse would fly in. I unfolded both little papers, prepared to flush their contents. They had already been emptied.

I wanted to buzz the nurses, show them, call the police, have this dark mass removed from my room. I wanted to run in and pummel him, bruise him, break him. I wanted him to be punished. Rage was flooding my veins. I looked at my hands to see how hard they were shaking but they were perfectly still. I took a deep breath. I didn't want to deal with police or doctors or social workers. I didn't even want to deal with him.

My baby would be waking soon, craving. With precise fingers, I reloaded the pockets, folded the shorts into a perfect, neat square and set them on top of the bedside table. I straightened the room until the only thing out of place was the gray-skinned man sleeping on the floor. I stepped over him and made my way to the other side of the room. My son was folded in a white blanket, his origami arms and legs tucked in under the covering. I scooped him from his pram and sneaked him into my bed. I cuddled him. I kissed his full moon face a hundred times. I sang him a lullaby and pressed my lips against the folds of his fat little arms.

We were leaving the hospital late in the day. I just packed what was mine. The mess he made wasn't my concern anymore. We drove home in my car- Mommy, Daddy and baby boy- the little family on way to their new lives. When we got to my house he helped me unload my car, then he got back into it and drove away. It didn't matter.I didn't need that car. The autumn air was crisp and clean. Fresh. New.I inhaled deeply and let it go. My daughter, my son and I swung on the porch swing. "Hello little baby", she whispered into the delicate, pink shell of his ear. The sun would be setting soon. My world was changed. I held my children close and welcomed the rounded dark. I thanked the night. I said goodbye.

7 comments:

  1. Gabrielle I think you have a nack for describing thing and drawing people into your writing. As for the ending I think you need to bring it back to the begin again. Almost like tying it in like a big circle. I may be way off as I am not a writer. When I get to the bottom it is almost like a good book you don't want to put down. I hope this helps. Did I mention I think you are very talented with your writing. Good luck with the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful essay! I'll have lots more to say later, but just wanted to let you know no grammar issues to worry about...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gabrielle,
    Reading about your son’s story, I could understand and picture your emotional and physical pain. I also realize your courage to overcome this hard time, even without any help from “him”. I liked the use of a lot of details in your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brie,
    Such a painful story so beautifully told! The drama of the situation, the emotion held so desperately in check gives this such power and intensity. I particularly appreciate your care with language--fine descriptive writing of the facility and the hospital room, "nuts and bolts, "origami legs" particularly struck me. The resonant line (for me): "With no anesthesia, I felt everything."

    In this blog-commenting format, I can't really make all the close-text edits/suggestions that I think you're looking for--I will be able to do that when you turn in final draft in Word, then you can revise more if you want. I'll try to answer a few of the specific questions, though:

    I'm not quite sure what you mean by tense question wrt sunrise metaphor? Seems to read fine as is to me.

    The flashback works fine--maybe a space break when it's in manuscript form, or on blog could use row of asterisks or something. (I did imagine the facility to be jail-like, but I'm not sure you need to be more specific...) Transition back to "present" is a little rough. Maybe you could link from woman asking about due date to something that puts us/i.e. you right in labor situation?

    The jump to his POV in the bathroom *is* jarring for me. I don't quite know how to handle it. Maybe something like "I didn't notice... [some sort of signs that would tip reader off to what had happened]"? When did you figure it out? Before searching his pockets, right? Think about it...

    Rachel's suggestion to circle things around (did you get it from her?) was very good! I think it works well. I like the several senses of saying goodbye, and of course saying hello is also here too. It makes me muse a little bit about the daily cycle, feeling that you're saying goodbye to night but then it comes back, and how that metaphor plays out in the experience...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly,
    Thanks so much for the feedback... abt the bathroom POV... should I 86 it altogether? I'm not sure if you're saying find a way to let the reader I didn't know this is what was going on but here it is.... (but how could I know?) I put it together after searching his pockets and thinking about how most people would make themselves available to a laboring woman and he just wasn't around. he was upstairs. So I'm not sure what is reasonable to include?

    yeah- I got my inspiration for the ending from Rachel. She made me realize I'd already given enough there to bring it back to. I didn't see it before she said something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, of course it's your call as writer! But how about moving that para. down to after you discovered the syringes, maybe when you were cuddling your son. Something to the effect of "This is what I imagined, while I was on the floor laboring he was up in bathroom, etc." Gives a kind of overhead shot that includes you and serves to show your beginning to distance yourself (or try to distance yourself) from situation? Though you need to think about what you want your reader to know when... (I think reader already knows he's the unreliable type--can he stumble or fumble with something to give just a hint of his condition maybe?)

    ReplyDelete