Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Text wrestling: Why Parents Hate Parenting



I'm not sure this is is the assignment! (?) the summary is in there somewhere. hopefully it's clear where the article is being cited. I have editing like grammar/ spelling/ etc to do still. Thanks for any comments, critiques, suggestions!




     "Life would be a lot easier if you didn't have him." my friend says of my infant son. I am appalled and give the mother of four an exaggerated frown in defense of my baby. I tell her I love my children and would never want to give them up. " Of course you wouldn't", my friend says, "but you have to admit it would be easier!"

It's true it's not easy being a parent.  In her article, All Joy and No Fun- Why Parents Hate Parenting, Jennifer Senior notes  "From the perspective of the individual, it's a mystery (why people have children)." Senior cites a number of studies wherein the general consensus is that parents are less happy than their childless peers.The studies found many reasons for this "hatred" of parenting. For instance the pressures of parenting are very different from what they used to be. One study claimed the dissatisfaction was due to the transition of children from workers and helpers to subjects of privilege. As one sociologist said, (they are) "economically worthless but emotionally priceless." The author also states that parents today spend great amounts of energy helping their children to succeed, perhaps,  feeling more pressure than the child does to become successful. 
 
     The article contains parental upsets such as guilt over their own absences, loss of freedom, trouble defining a course of action for parenting and also plain disappointment in the role. The author says that although parents today spend more time with their children than parents in past generations, they still feel  that they don't spend enough time.  Also, having children is one of the biggest changes a person can experience and for modern couples having a child is a great loss of "freedom...(and)...autonomy." Furthermore, Senior tells that for modern people there is already experience of professional discipline where there exists a right and wrong way. Child rearing is not so black and white so parents have trouble figuring out why their old method of operation isn't working. And then there is the issue of parental expectations, notes Senior. Couples who wait to have children often see them as a "reward" and can be surprised to find how difficult and unrewarding the "reward" is. 
     Senior does provide that the results of these studies "violate a parent's deepest intuition" that they will fall in love with parenting. So why would studies prove dissatisfaction when parents obviously want to be happy with the role? The author goes on to say that some believe it is the lack of strong welfare systems. If government took off some of the pressures of living, parenting would be less stressful and more enjoyable. Senior also relates that none of the studies  showed "the love (a) mother feels for her son" or the little, pleasurable moments parenting may provide. One study that Senior cited stated that the most depressed people were absentee parents, making the point that, "Technically, if parenting makes you unhappy, you should feel better if you're spared the task of doing it." One of the last points the author makes is this: The things that in the moment lower our moods can later be a great source of nostalgia and delight. In other words, parenting may be difficult now, but once the stress is forgotten, parents will look back on these times with joy.
     Senior says that most studies show people are unhappy, or at least less happy, as parents  and there are a lot of reasons why they could be. Then she tells us perhaps these studies are inaccurate for their inability to see the bigger picture. So, is the author's point that parents do hate parenting or that what seems to be a dislike of parenting is simply outside stresses taking their toll on the parent-child relationship? Is Senior's defense of parenting that studies are just incomplete?
      Maybe it is Senior's article itself that's incomplete. Senior cites studies and the opinions of "experts", which makes me wonder where  all the real parents are. Had Senior sat in on a Mommy-and-Me class or just stopped parents on the street to ask them how they felt about parenting, I'm sure she would have seen for herself how many people enjoy their role. I know if she were to ask me how I felt about being a parent, I certainly wouldn't give the impression that I "hate" it. Maybe Senior would recite findings from studies and I would have to tell her I agree that parenting is stressful. I do feel pressure and there is a loss of freedom and I don't mind. I love being a parent regardless of those things and I know plenty of people who would echo that sentiment. The closest Senior gets to this idea is when she offers that a psychologist suggested that the question of parental happiness comes down to how you define happiness and  perhaps in retrospective evaluations of one's life they find that there actually was joy there. But I think there is joy there now. Senior forgets to observe the look on a mother's face when she's coming down a slide with her son. Senior forgets to account for the thrill a father feels letting go of his daughter's bicycle as she rides on her own for the first time. Senior fails to capture any of this joy, this fun, these moments of... happiness!
     Expert opinions and study results have a value, but they cannot validate the emotion of everyday life of a mother or father.  There is more to the life of a parent than the minor stresses and disappointments Senior's studies describe. So parenting isn't all joy but most parents still have fun. Even if, as Senior states, "moment to moment happiness is elusive" in parenthood, most of us aren't miserable.  Ultimately, Senior’s sources came down to charted responses; studies with fill in the blank sentences that cannot possibly describe what it means to live a life with your children. I don't blame her. I can't describe it either. Parenting isn't "no fun" and it isn't "all joy". It is in between and changes from day-to-day, parent-to-parent. So, if we as parents can hardly describe it, the experts can't tell us how it feels. Jennifer Senior can't tell us either. Each parent must describe it for themselves. But I like to think a lot of parents feel like I do. "It" would be easy if if I didn't have children. "It" would be free. But that freedom and ease couldn’t buy me the pleasure I find with my children. No, "it" wouldn't be much of a life at all.

5 comments:

  1. Overall I like the summary.
    You seems to have a couple issues with punctuation and grammar, and there is a quote in there which seems to have no end??? ("freedom...(and)...autonomy….)

    I did not read the original article but my “feeling” while reading this it’s more of a review than a summary. I’ll try to find time to read the article and post again later.

    Nice job though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Steven. This post reads a bit more like a review than a summary (especially the first paragraph). I don't think a whole lot needs to be changed, but do think you should reference the writer a bit more. Bring her name up a bit more so that we know it's the authors research you're talking about, instead of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks steven and Nicole. I have incorporated the authors name more like you said Nicole. As far as this being a review- it's not. This is all right from the text- no opinions at all. I'm trying to figure out why you guys got that impression...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brie--

    (I will focus comments on summary part of this, which seems to be paras. 1 to 5--the other paras, as response, can certainly go in full Essay 3.)

    You do a very good job here of summarizing the results of the studies that show parenting is an unendingly joyous experience. Good structuring of para. (though main idea of para. 3 is awfully generally--maybe could focus that to distinguish more sharply between main ideas of paras. 2 and 3). She gives so many possible reasons/explanations for the study results that's it's quite a challenge to figure out how best to group them. (In my outline I had nine items in that list!)

    I'm not sure that this is accurate: her " whole message seems to be that all studies show parents are miserable and there are a lot of reasons why they should be." She doesn't seem to be miserable as a parent herself, do you think? (Do you dispute those studies? If so, on what grounds? This could be part of response section.) I think her aim is more to reconcile those studies with her own (and others') experience, which I think she does do at the end. (and you point that out as well.)

    Minor point: check on google, but I don't think your first para. claim about all work and no play quote originating in The Shining is correct. (It's an interesting connection, though!) I think our peers' seeing this more as review than summary has to do with this para. and how it works as introduction. It's "pulled back" a little further than the typical beginning of a cut-and-dried summary--do you understand what I mean by that?--but that's OK! In full Essay 3, which this is very close to, you could even pull back farther to start with something more general about tie between happiness and parenting.

    (What you have here as personal response seems perfectly appropriate--that seem sto be what the article calls for, some lived experience to flesh out the studies--and connecting to one's own experience seems inevitable if one is a parent. You might also want to include comments about the writing of the article--I see elsewhere that you found the structure difficult--you might mention/explain that as a sort of bridge from pure summary to personal-experience response.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. holly-
    you're right abt. the shining. I found this:
    [ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY - "The sentiment expressed by this proverb was first recorded thousands of years ago by the Egyptian sage Ptahhoptep, who wrote in c. 2400 B.C.,] when I googled the phrase. oops!time for a makeover. thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete